Jobs not to do as a Highly Sensitive Person

Certain jobs just aren't made for a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP). Whether it's the constant pressure, the monotone work or the disrupting noise, an HSP doesn't fit.

However, the environment can play a big role. Say you're into construction. You're working the hours you want, you agreed with a general timing and you're working on your own. Perfect, no? However, imagine you're constructing big houses with many co-workers who like to play hard music. Your boss checks upon you every other hour and gives you constant deadlines. Horrible, no? Indeed - the environment makes the jobs.


So if you really want to be in the military, you can. But not as a fighting soldier. Rather as a counsellor. Or providing strategy analysis. Or doing web design for the website.

Make sure to find a job that gives you satisfaction, meaning it has a meaning special to you. And that isn't too monotonous.

So here's a list of jobs which are generally not suited for HSPs:

Negotiation jobs: lawyer, politician
Noise jobs: callcentre, construction works, supermarket jobs, firefighter, kindergarten teacher
People jobs: event organiser, waiter/waitress, customer service
Pressure jobs: stocks trader, high-level boss, soldier, policeman/woman
Meaningless jobs: stock broker, company lobbyist, salesperson, banker
(some belong in more than one category)



Some good questions to ask yourself:

  • Do I like the job I'm doing? What parts do I like most?
  • What can I do so it's more pleasurable for me to work at my current job?
  • How can I improve the relations with my colleagues?
  • Which job did I always want to do?




Comments